Research Associate & Research Assistant Positions Available
Fintech for Social Impact
Published: August 31, 2022
Full-time and Part-time Positions
We are seeking a Research Associate (full time) and a Research Assistant (part-time) for a multidisciplinary research project exploring the potential of using machine learning to promote ‘Fintech for Social Impact’. The project aims to help a fintech institution improve its risk assessment of individuals it might not usually lend to. This project combines expertise in Data Science/Machine Learning, Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction and Economics/Finance.
This project is primarily funded by Monash University, Indonesia, with additional funding from Action Lab, Monash University Australia, and an Indonesian Fintech Startup. The Research Associate and Research Assistant will work under the supervision of the research team Dr. Arif Perdana, Dr. Risqi Saputra and Dr. Sarah Gultom. The position is based at Monash University Indonesia, a research-intensive university ranked 57th in the world in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022. You must possess verbal and written communication skills in English. Specific requirements for the position are as follows:
1. Full-Time Research Associate (Machine Learning) 40 hours/week
- Contribute to a review of relevant Fintech literature.
- Plan and coordinate data collection.
- Development of machine learning models of financial risk.
- Plan and conduct rigorous evaluations of developed machine learning models.
- Coordinate with industry and academic partners.
- Contribute and/or lead to publications (academic and industry focused).
Essential Selection Criteria:
- Masters degree or PhD in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field.
- Strong understanding of machine learning (theory and practice).
- Strong software development skills.
- Strong team working and communication skills.
- Track record of academic publications and/or writing industry reports in English.
2. Part-Time Research Assistant (Research Methods) 20 hours/week
- Online survey design and testing.
- Contribute to relevant Fintech literature review.
- Survey/interview data collection and analysis.
- Design and conduct of participant interviews.
- Qualitative analysis of interview data.
- Contribute to the preparation of academic and industry reports.
Essential Selection Criteria:
- Masters degree or PhD in Information Systems/Business or Management Studies, Psychology or Social Science
- Good understanding of qualitative and quantitative research methods.
- Relevant experience in the industry would be value added.
Both posts come with a competitive salary, basic health insurance and access to Monash University Indonesia facilities (working space and IT services). Applicants must have an existing right to work in Indonesia (i.e. Indonesian citizen or in possession of a valid work visa). The Research Associate position will have one year tenure, while the research assistant will be contracted for up to six-month periods.
If you are interested, please send your application to both firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with the following:
- Cover letter outlining your motivation and describing how you meet each of the essential selection criteria.
- Curriculum Vitae.
Applications will remain open until the positions are filled. Nevertheless, please apply as soon as possible if you are interested.